Pennsylvania Log Cabin was
constructed by local folks in 1935
in one of Alabama's last old fashioned
"house raisings." Originally built as a
library and later used as the Administrative
Office, today the log cabin is being used as
an area archives and museum for historical
documents, antiques and photos.
Scenic Overlook was
established in 2004 by a
Town of Grant Beautification Board Project.
It overlooks Kennamer Cove, serves as a
beautiful backdrop for photos and is a
popular spot among area visitors.
1955 the Michigan State
Society NSDAR, constructed the
Michigan Arts & Crafts Building as
a facility where the women of the mountain
and students of the school could be trained
to profitably use their hands. The building
served as a craft center until 1994 when
another building was renovated to house art
classes. The Michigan Center, as it is known
locally, is now used as a rental facility
for wedding receptions and other special
events and as a meeting place for local
groups and organizations.
in 1957 by the Alabama
Officer's Club, DAR, to address the
spiritual needs of the community, the
Nan Roberts Lane Chapel is
a popular venue for weddings and events.
Georgia Park was
constructed in 2000 as a
project of the State Regent of the Georgia
State Society, NSDAR, and an outdoor
Becker Hall, the world's
largest vertical log structure still in use,
was built in 1937 as an
all-states project of the DAR. Today, this
facility is a gymnasium used on a daily
basis for elementary physical education
classes and is also host to various school
performances and programs.
Constructed in 1937, Samsa
Administration Building was at the
time named Munson Cottage for Marion Munson
of Connecticut. The Cottage was for many
years the residence of the school's
Executive Secretary (what is today known as
the Executive Director). It was converted to
use as the Executive Director's office in
2002. A fire destroyed the building in 2005.
It was then rebuilt and rededicated in 2007
as the Samsa-Munson Administration Building.
Rexer Memorial Cottage was
built in 1954 as a bequest
of the estate of Winnie Doan Rexer of Ohio.
It is used as a faculty residence.
Helen Pouch Building was
constructed as the school lunchroom in
1946 through a gift of Mr.
and Mrs. William H. Pouch of New York. It
was named for their daughter. The building
was renovated and rededicated as a classroom
building in 1994. Today it houses the office
of the school nurse, Learning Resource
Center classes, and elementary art and music
Pennsylvania Water Tower
was constructed in 1937 by
Mr. & Mrs. H.D. Sheppard of Pennsylvania in
an effort to secure a sufficient water
supply for the school. The 5,000 gallon
storage tank provided drinking water for the
students for a number of years until "city
water" became available. It was converted to
a bell tower in 1973. Today, the Carillon
Bell speaker system is housed in the tower
and greets the students and faculty each day
with patriotic and seasonal music. It is
referred to locally as "the bell tower".
Louise Willson Jacobs Building,
also known as the "Old Main" building, was
built in 1924 from native
stone and timbers donated by mountain
residents. The original structure housed
four classrooms and an office. Though there
have been a number of changes to the
building including three additions in the
1930's and 1940's and an extensive
renovation in 1975, the original portion of
the building remains largely the same. The
building was dedicated as the Louise Willson
Jacobs Building May 21, 1978. Mrs Jacobs was
from Scottsboro and served as Chairman of
the KDS Board of Trustees from 1950-1976.
The Jacobs Building is home to grades 2
through 4 today.
Gary Wiggins Cox Primary Building
was built in 1949 to
commemorate the school's 25th anniversary.
An additional seven classrooms were built as
an addition in 1964, and the building
underwent and extensive renovation in 1999.
It was officially named the Gary Wiggins Cox
Primary Building in 2011 in honor of an
Honorary Chairman of the KDS Board of
Harriet K. Privett Library
building has served many purposes over the
years. It was constructed in 1934
as a Home Economics and Science Lab. In
1977, the building was renovated for use as
Junior High classrooms. It was converted to
a music complex in 1983 and housed the band
and choral departments. The building was
then remodeled by the Alabama Officers'
Club, DAR, and dedicated as the Harriet
Kinnaird Privett Library in 1988. An
extensive interior renovation, sponsored by
Iowa Daughters, was completed in 2008.
Minor Practice Cottage was
built in 1935 and named for
Ann Rogers Minor of Connecticut. It served
as the residence of the school's home
economics teacher and as a practice cottage
for home economics teacher and as a practice
cottage for home economics students. The
girls in the class would take turns staying
in the home and practicing skills such as
cooking, cleaning, laundry, etc. When boys
started taking home economics classes in the
early 1980's the cottage was no longer used
for practice. Today it is used as a faculty
Indiana and Ohio State Societies of the DAR
Constructed the Indiana-Ohio
Playground in 1995.
This area is used primarily by elememtary
school students for physical education
classes, In 2008, the fencing surrounding
the playground was sponsored by the Indiana
DAR and the Maryland State Society.
KDS Maintenance Shop, officially called the
Blanch & Katherine Zimmerman Storage
Building, was constructed in 1959. Adjacent
to the Maintenance Shop are the National
Junior Membership Storage Shed, built in
1992; Prairie State Hay Barn (Illinois),
built in 1993; and the Louisa St. Clair
Chapter Pole Barn (Michigan), built in 1997.
current KDS School Greenhouse
was built as an Alabama State Regent's
Project in 1992. The
Greenhouse serves as a learning laboratory
for science classes, but is primarily used
to grow plants, shrubs, and trees for the
240-acre school campus.
in 1957, the Agri-Science
Building was constructed as a
Several States Project. It still houses Ag
DAR Lunchroom was built by
the Marshall County Board of Education with
the support of DAR sponsors from across the
country. It was completed in 1994.
School classes are housed in the Bernice
Robbins Estes Classroom Building, which was
constructed in 1989. The building was named
for an Honorary Board Chairman of the KDS
School Board of Trustees.
Jeanette Osborn Baylies Building
was an All-States Project that was completed
in 1978 and today houses
Middle School classes. It was named for
Honorary President General, NSDAR, Mrs.
George Upham Baylies.
in 1971, the Seimes-Thomas
Classroom Building was a National
School Project of the NSDAR. It was named in
honor of Honorary President General Mrs.
Erwin Frees Seimes and National School
Chairman Miss Amanda Thomas. The building
today houses the High School Library, High
School and Middle School classrooms.
Doris Pike White Gymnasium
is used for Middle School physical education
classes and athletic events. It was
constructed in 1961 as an
All-States DAR Project.
Texas Duplex was built in
1964 and houses two-bedroom
Yochim Outdoor Basketball Court
was given in 1992 by the
National Junior Membership Committee in
honor of Marie H. Yochim, President General,
NSDAR, 1989-1992. It was moved to its
present location in 2007.
in 2003 by the Marshall
County Board of Education, the
Olivia P. & Noel A. Burkey Center
houses the High School Gymnasium and several
classrooms including Choral and Band. The
High School Art and Family & Consumer
Sciences Departments were sponsored by DAR.
Marie Hirst Yochim Classroom
Building was completed in
2011 and houses High School
classes. This 10-classroom building was
built with funds from the Marshall County
Board of Education and DAR sponsors. It was
named in honor of an Honorary President
General of NSDAR.
Alice Hairston Geron Cottage
was built in 1965 as a
project of the Alabama State Society, NSDAR.
It is used as a faculty residence.
Jamison Cottage was
constructed in 1973 with
funds from the estate of a past National
Chairman of the DAR School Committee, Mrs.
Harry Jamison of Florida. It is used as a
Aebly-Howard Cottage was
built in 1964 in honor of
Mrs. Lyle J. Howland, State Regent of New
York, and Mrs. Fred Aebly, member of the KDS
Board of Trustees from New York. It is used
as a faculty residence.
to the school's purchase of the
Headstart Building in 1971,
it was a church. Since that time it was used
as an Activities Building and the Thrift
Store until 2000 when it became the location
of the community's Headstart program for
Nell Fallaw Cottage was built in
1963 as an Alabama State
Regent's Project. Today it ist the residence
of the KDS Executive Director.
Schlosser Cottage was
constructed in 1940 by the
Indiana DAR. It is used as a faculty
The New York Cuff Cottage,
a duplex apartment built for young married
teachers, was completed in 1961. It is
called the "Cuff Cottage" in honor of Mrs.
Frank B. Cuff, Corresponding Secretary
General, NSDAR, 1962-65, and New York State
Regent at the time the project was
KDS women's Softball Field
was constructed in 1996 as
a project of the Alabama State Society DAR
in honor of Mrs. Arnold E. Briglia, State
KDS men's Baseball Field
was constructed in 1970 as
a gift of the Louisa St. Clair Chapter,
NSDAR, of Michigan.
KDS Football Stadium, Fieldhouse,
and Track were built by the
Marshall County Board of Education in
National Junior Membership Committee of the
DAR constructed the Junior
Membership Athletic Complex in
2008. The building houses
locker rooms for the baseball and softball
teams as well as restrooms and a concession
stand for sporting events.
Presley M. Wagoner Tennis Courts
were dedicated in 2007.
This project of the National Junior
Membership Committee was named in honor of
Presley M. Wagoner, President General,
NSDAR, 2004-2007. Mrs. Wagoner is also a
past national chairman of the Junior